Monday, November 24, 2008

Damn Psychic Cats

So. It was all set. Saturday, at 9:15 a.m. I was going to deliver the kittens and their mama to an Animal Clinic where the feral cat people take in strays, give them their shots, and foster them till they can find homes for them. The cats were my friends. Every morning they came meowing toward me when I opened the door, food in hand.

Until Saturday.

Saturday, I went out, food in hand, and they were gone.

I meowed and here-kitty-kitty-kittied awhile, peeking under the deck, behind the bushes, hoping they'd come out of hiding. Not. I put the food out. My morning's concentration was wrecked because I kept having to get up and look out the window to see if the food was still there.

It was.

Until about 12:30, at which point they appeared for lunch. The thing is, the clinic was open till noon. So it was too late to take them. How did they know this?

Mary Lee (Crazy Cat Woman) wasn't even a little surprised when I called her up to report this turn of events. "Cats are brilliant," she said.


I've hardly seen them since--and when I do, the mama cat gives me the evil eye. The kittens scamper out of reach and disappear through a broken slat in the fence.

Plan B? Maybe.

No comments: